Sunday, December 22, 2013

Almost a lap dog

Do I need a bigger lap?

Yesterday Shylo actually came over to me and acted like he wanted me to pick him up. (By that I mean he came over and sat at my feet unlike my others who get up on their hind legs and beg to be picked up) I picked him up and put him in my lap and he is quite a lapfull. He is bigger and longer than the others but weighs about the same as Tigger (17 pounds) When he first got into my lap he was still a little tense but after a few minutes he started to relax . . . and then he went to sleep! I wish I had been able to get a picture of him sacked out but of course I was holding him!

My daughter came over today to play with him and the others and we worked on getting him to come in the house voluntarily. (He still does not want to come in from outside). We practiced "coming inside" encouraging him with special treats. He comes in with a little coaxing, takes the treat and goes right back out! It is definitely a work in progress!

Tonight I took him for a short walk on the leash, we went out the front door down the driveway and up past the neighbor's house. Then a car came down our very quiet street. This is the first time he has been out front and seen a car; we then double-timed it back down the hill and up the driveway. He calmed down, did his business, walked up to the front deck and walked right into the house without a moment's hesitation!!! I wonder if it could be the slider that leads to the back deck that is spooking him?

Here is a clip of Shylo (and Mandy who has to be wherever Shylo is) playing with Christie, his favorite human.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog, Pat. As a rescuer, I've known the problems & the baby steps of progress that you describe. Fostering a dog who has been simply livestock, watching them begin to grow into their potential is rewarding beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete