Monday, November 11, 2013

I never thought too much about fostering dogs until recently. In April of 2013, we lost our beautiful Finnish Spitz, Badabing . He was thirteen years old. We have two other dogs an eleven year old male Shih Tzu/Lhasa mix named Tigger and a ten year old female Japanese Chin/Pomeranian mix named Saki. Soon after we lost Bing our vet told us that Saki had a liver condition that was untreatable. I realized then how old they were and that I didn’t want whoever was left behind to be alone. I was looking to adopt a young Shih Tzu but it seemed like every time I saw one on line, he was already adopted. I also filled out an application to become a foster mom to Shih Tzus, hoping I might find one that way. At the end of August, my husband and my daughter saw the same ad in the papers for a three month old black and white female puppy about 15 minutes from my home. I went to see her and of course fell instantly in love with her. I hoped my other two dogs would play with her but they were not terribly interested.  I think Mandy was with us 3 or 4 days when I got a call from the rescue group saying they would like to arrange a “home visit”. Following the home visit I was notified that I had been approved to foster. I explained that I had a three month old and it would probably be better if I didn’t rush into fostering. On November 1st I learned I would be getting a two year old Shih Tzu mix . . . well Mandy would have a playmate.
Mandy, Tigger & Saki

No comments:

Post a Comment